Webster’s defines mobile (mo.bile) n. as a sculpture consisting of parts that move, especially in response to air currents; adj. as being capable of being moved or of moving; changing readily in mood, expression, or appearance.
Imagine a mobile as a metaphor for a business enterprise. A mobile, like a business, is comprised of many different parts, and each part is interconnected and—at least to some extent—the various parts are interdependent. Some of the parts might represent individuals, teams, departments or operating units. Other parts might represent key stakeholders such as customers, suppliers, shareholders, etc.
Since no enterprise exists in a vacuum, imagine some external influence being exerted upon the mobile such as changing market conditions, economic circumstances, intensified competition, and customer demand among others. At the same time imagine some internal influence being exerted such as new leadership or management board, constraints on budget and capital appropriation, key talent attrition, and declining morale among other variables.
Since the mobile is constantly changing, exemplary leaders must anticipate and respond appropriately to ensure balance and alignment while fully leveraging all parts of the enterprise.
Exemplary leaders are savvy and agile and respond to change as a normal course of business. Exemplary leaders remain steady at the helm and set a course for the organization which optimizes business results. Exemplary leaders do not fear the winds of adversity for they know that a kite rises against the wind rather than with it. Exemplary leaders harness the wind and use it to propel the mobile toward performance improvements at the individual, team, and organizational level.
When exemplary leaders achieve balance and alignment while fully leveraging all resources, the following often occurs:
- A compelling vision is established and a common sense of purpose is understood
- Clear and timely communication occurs using effective voice systems at all levels
- Trust is established and sustained
- Employees are inspired to perform at their best and sustain their best performance
- Key talent retention is improved and overall employee attrition declines
- Innovation and creativity are fostered at all levels of the organization
- Employee morale, motivation and satisfaction levels are high and energy is positive
- Superior customer service is delivered, customer loyalty is sustained, and competitive advantage reigns supreme
- Business results reflect high-performance throughout all levels of the enterprise
Leveraging every available resource is essential in today’s business environment. It improves individual, team, and organizational effectiveness and bottom-line business results.
Considering your role as a leader, what courses are you charting at the moment and how well prepared are you for the constant winds of change and adversity? Are you and your enterprise positioned to rise against the wind?